Monday, July 23, 2007

Oracle ACE 2.0

Justin Kestelyn, OTN Editor-in-Chief, posted about some changes to the Oracle ACE program. Justin says, "This is good news for a number of reasons, but most important, it allows anyone with a track record of Oracle technical community involvement/outreach to get formal support from Oracle for their activities. PHP developer working on Oracle Database XE? Check. Java developer evangelizing rich client interfaces built on ADF/JSF? Check. Database performance expert who eats database statistics for breakfast? Check. You can become an Oracle ACE or ACE Director, with all the attendant benefits." I'm not sure where I fit in there. I have mixed emotions about the change but I am willing to give Oracle the benefit of the doubt and see what happens. I am curious as to what the ACE Directors will be doing. Justin added, "When I say [formal support from Oracle,] I mean that we will consider it our job to create a relationship between you and new audiences, whether via publishing, blogging, speaking/presenting, or teaching. In other words, we will provide the [bullhorn and soapbox] you need to be even more effective in community outreach/education than you already are, and to reach people you otherwise would never have met." LewisC